American buttercream frosting is super rich in chocolate and the perfect addition to chocolate cakes or cupcakes. This American buttercream recipe will keep you wanting more and more!!!
Warning: you might eat this by it self even before the cake is decorated hahahahha
There are a few reasons why an American buttercream frosting can go wrong
- Make sure all ingredients are either in room temperature or in the fridge; The only reason you will need to leave ingredients at room temperature is that the butter needs to be soft. I use spreadable butter which is already soft so I don’t leave my butter out to soften, I use it directly from the fridge.
- if you add too much liquid; it’s very hard to give the exact quantity of milk needed for the frosting, because all milk has different viscosity. I have given a guide as to how much you would need but it’s always best to make a calculated guess by adding the milk gradually.
- if you overbeat it; don’t over beat the mixture after adding the milk. it would need a maximum 30 seconds of mixing after the milk is incorporated.
- if your butter is too melted it will instantly split the mixture.
Watch how to make american buttercream frosting
Step by step recipe on how to make American buttercream frosting
American Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 200 g Butter Soften
- 300 g Icing sugar
- 35 g Dutch cocoa powder Can use regular cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 50 g Milk Fresh milk
- Add butter to a bowl of a stand mixer or a handheld mixer with the whisk attachment
- Sift the icing sugar, cocoa powder directly onto the butter
- Mix it well for 3 minutes in high speed until it is thick and creamy
- Add in the vanilla essence
- Add the milk gradually ( Milk quantity will differ from person to person, it is best to add it gradually, make a calculated guess if the milk quantity is sufficient. which means you can end up only with 50g of milk as well)
- Beat it only for 30 seconds until incorporated
- Use the buttercream to decorate your cakes/cupcakes