Chinese chicken and sweet corn soup is a popular dish served in many Chinese restaurants and one that is so simple and easy to make which can be made in less than 20 minutes. If you are looking for a winter warmer that is easy to cook for a mid-week meal solution, definitely give this recipe a try.
As a kid growing up, we were so exposed to Chinese food, now don’t get me wrong, but we had a version of Sri Lankan Chinese food in Sri Lanka, but no matter what, always the restaurants will serve Chinese chicken and sweet corn soup and honestly with all the soups we grew up with back home, mind you we only knew vegetable soup, I was so eager to eat this soup whenever it was put in front of me.
I started to do soup Thursdays at my place now during winter because it is so comforting and easy to do, sometimes we open a bottle of red wine too and in our fluffy jackets with the heater on, we enjoy a warm bowl of soups every Thursday and that’s when I thought, I should share some soup recipes on my blog because I am sure just like me, you guys must be wanting the same thing 🙂
Honestly, this soup is so easy to make, it is just a mix all and boil kind of soup and you don’t even need to chop any ingredients, how cool is that which means less washing hahaha
Ingredients for a Chinese chicken and sweet corn soup
Chicken – Now I usually make shredded chicken in advance and freeze it, so I can use it for fried rice, salads, sandwich filling, soups etc. So if you make a big batch, it would be handy in the future to freeze some, so you can use it whenever you want. Supermarkets also tend to have shredded chicken that you can purchase, but I like to make my own.
Creamed corn- These are available in the tinned format, anywhere in the world, I am sure you can buy creamed corn
Chicken stock – I use chicken stock for flavour!!! flavour!!! flavour!!! if you wish you can use vegetable stock if you want to make a vegetarian version. Don’t use beef stock as it is very stronger in flavour, and you will end up with a stronger flavoured broth rather than s sweet corn chicken soup
Corn flour; very essential, as this is what will thicken the soup
Egg: This is what gives the stringy pieces on top of the soup.
Can you freeze Chinese chicken sweet corn soup?
Yes you can, but since it is so easy to make, I usually don’t freeze it
Can you make Chinese sweet corn soup in advance
Definitely, you can make the soup in advance and reheat as needed
How do you reheat Chinese sweet corn soup
You can microwave it, or even reheat it on the stove until warm and heated through
What to serve with Chinese sweet corn soup?
Bread bread bread, a good loaf of sourdough or a baguette, to dip the creamy and delicious soup
What other soup recipes can I try?
Watch how to make Chinese chicken and sweet corn soup
Step by Step recipe on how to make Chinese chicken and sweet corn soup
Chinese chicken and Sweet corn soup
- Sauce pan
- 500 ml Chicken stock
- 420 g Creamed corn (1 Tin)
- 2 tsp Soy sauce Light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Ginger Grated
- 1 tsp Garlic Grated
- 1 tsp Corn flour
- 3 tsp Water Tap
- 1 Egg Whisked
- 1 Chicken breast
- to taste Salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp Spring onion Chopped
- Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Heat a pan on medium heat with 2 tbsp of oil. Once heated, pan fry the chicken on both sides until cooked through.
- Once cooked, using 2 forks, shred the chicken and leave aside.
Sweet corn soup
- In a large saucepan add chicken stock, creamed corn, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. Place on a medium fire. Let the mixture come to boiling point
- In a small container mix together cornflour and water, add it to the soup mixture once it reaches boiling point. Keep it on low fire for about 3-4 minutes, until the soup thickens
- Switch off the fire, then add the whisked egg while whisking the soup
- Finally add the shredded chicken, garnish with spring onion and serve.