Chicken Cordon bleu is a french recipe which is essentially a chicken schnitzel filled with ham and cheese.
Now, who doesn’t like crispy chicken but most importantly when it is stuffed with oozing cheese??? sounds heavenly.
How to cook cordon bleu? There are two ways to cook it, it can be shallow fried first and then cooked in the oven, that’s the method I recommend to get the best outcome.
You can also bake it in the oven but it will need two settings to perfectly cook the chicken breast and then crisp up the crumb. I don’t recommend this method if you truly want crispy chicken but its an alternative and its also a healthy way of cooking cordon bleu.
How to bake chicken cordon bleu in the oven.
Bake it first for 20 mins at 180C then increase the temperature to 220C for another 20-25 mins. it’s better to use the fan forced option in the oven to get a crispier chicken.
There is a technique behind using the fan-forced oven cooking, when a product has a heat that is combined with a dry heat then it sucks up all the moisture and dries the surface and makes it crispier. When baking a crumbled product always use the fan option.
There is a technique behind getting crispy crumb for cordon blue, it’s double passing it through the breadcrumbs. I have explained it on my recipe below.
Cordon bleu can be served with mash potato, french fries, green salad and with a white mustard sauce will well complement the dish.
Cheddar is the best cheese to use for this as it holds its shape in the oven. But using normal cheese used for sandwiches would be just fine, it will still be flavoursome.
You can also find my other dinner recipes.
- 5 Chicken Breast Skin off
- 5 slices Cheese Cheddar or any cheese slices
- 6 Eggs
- 120 g All purpose flour
- 250 g Breadcrumbs Panko preferably
- Preheat the oven to 180C ( Conventional oven)
- Butterfly the chicken (Cut the breast lengthwise halfway)
- Place the chicken on top of a cling wrap and cover it and bash the chicken with a rolling pin or meat hammer. Make sure not to tear the chicken too much
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides delicately
- Add in cheese & ham into the middle of the chicken
- Fold the chicken and close it with toothpicks
How to crumb the chicken
- Have three trays filled with flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs separately
- Dip the chicken into the flour, then to the egg, then to the crumb, again to the egg mix and finally to the breadcrumb ( This is how you will get a crispy crumb, by double passing it)
- Heat a pan with oil on medium heat (Shallow frying)
- Once the oil is heated, fry the chicken on all sides until it has a golden brown colour
- Take it off the pan and place it on an oven tray
- Bake the cordon bleu for 30 minutes in the oven or until cooked through
- Remove toothpicks and serve it warm