Imagine how good life is going to be if you can have a homemade sushi roll as a snack every single day!!! I love sushi but the place I live in Melbourne does not have any decent place to have sushi. So it got me thinking, how many other people must be having the same problem as me?
How do you make sushi at home?
The answer is many. I make simply the easiest sushi at home. Many people are daunted at the fact that they cannot make sushi at home. Well, let me break to you guys, it’s actually mind-bogglingly easy!!! I don’t use a bamboo mat to roll my sushi; you only need a few ingredients to make this amazing dish.
I will be very honest we cannot compare restaurant-quality sushi to homemade sushi but spending $50 on sushi becomes quite challenging, if I can make sushi for $10, hey why not!!! It surely satisfies my cravings.
How to buy sashimi ? or raw fish for your sushi
If you decide to put raw fish to your sushi, make sure to buy sashimi grade, any fishmonger will have this, but not in supermarkets.
What do you put inside sushi?
Sashimi grade Tuna
Sushi dipping sauces
You cannot eat sushi without soy sauce, make sure you buy a good quality premium soy sauce, it makes all the difference 😉
You can also add wasabi and pickled ginger into the soy mixture, this will add a bit of punch and oomph.
Homemade sushi staples
- Nori sheets
- Bamboo mat ( not compulsory)
- Cling wrap
- Sushi rice ( My preferred brand is sunrice )
- Soy sauce
- pickled ginger
- Kewpie mayonnaise ( Sirracha mayo)
You can also try my other Lunch/Dinner recipes
Watch how to make homemade Sushi Roll Recipe
Step by Step recipe on how to make Sushi Roll Recipe
Homemade Sushi Roll Recipe
- 1½ cup Sushi rice
- 2 cup Water
- 6 tbsp Sushi seasoning or rice wine vinegar
- 5 Nori sheets
- 100 g Chicken schnitzel or ready to eat tuna cans
- 100 g Mayonnaise
- Cook the sushi rice combining the rice and water together either in a rice cooker or a normal pot( Cook sushi rice according to packet instructions)
- Once the rice is cooked add the sushi seasoning into the rice and gently stir through
- Spread the sushi rice on a flat tray and leave it at room temperature to cool down
- Prepare a bowl of water next to you; this is for you to plunge your hands and knife because the rice is sticky
- Once the rice is cooled down place the nori sheet on top of a chopping board
- Add a layer of sushi rice on top of the nori sheet and flatten it using your fingers
- Add in your fillings on the middle of the sheet
- Roll tightly. Apply a bit of water at the end of the nori sheet and seal the roll
- Using a sharp knife cut into equal pieces. Plunge your knife in the water when it is too sticky, this will help to have a clean knife
- Enjoy with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger