Creamy mashed potatoes the best side dish with almost any meat. It’s creamy and silky in texture and has a buttery flavour. Want to know how to make the best creamy mash potato, read more to find out how.
Whether I worked in a Michelin star restaurant, a pub, fine dining restaurant or a normal restaurant. The mash potato was one dish that was served in all types of restaurants. But every restaurant had a different way of doing it.
I am able to do a potato mash the Michelin star way and also a potato mash the pub style. So in a fine dining restaurant, we would sous vide the potatoes in cream and butter, the slow cooking process, really helped the butter and cream to absorb into the potatoes, and then passed the mash potatoes through a fine sieve, this way it was the smoothest, buttery and creamiest mash potato you will ever taste. But I ain’t got no time for that making at home, so I will teach you simple tricks and tips on how to get a buttery creamy mash potato at home just like in restaurants.
In my mash potato recipe, I will be using milk and cream both, now you can replace the milk and just add cream, which will definitely be creamier, but I eat mash potatoes at least once a week so I make sure it does not have too much of calories and not too heavy, so I cook it with milk and finish off with cream to give that creamy flavour and texture.
What goes into a homemade mashed potato
It’s so simple you only needs Cream, butter, potato and salt
What potatoes are best for mashed potato?
Usually, the dirty brown potatoes with soil are the best for mash potatoes. Its called Sebago sold in Australia.
Other toppings that can be added to mashed potato?
Bacon – Sauteed bacon bites added on the top for a crunchy texture
Sour cream – Mix in some sour cream at the end to the mash potatoes to be really creamy
Cheese – Add grated cheese while its hot, to melt in
Chives – Chop and add it on top, as a garnish
Melted butter- Melted butter on the top to make it extra buttery
What to serve with creamy mashed potato
Any meat can be served with mash potato its such a comforting side dish.
Slow-cooked Lamb Shanks
Meatballs with sauce
Can I make creamy mashed potato ahead of time?
Yes you can, When I entertain guests, I always have a carvery and serve a side of mash potato and I make it ahead of time
How to reheat mashed potato
You can warm it in the microwave by covering the dish with cling wrap or, you can add the mashed potato to a saucepan, add a bit of milk and reheat it on the stove on medium fire
How to make mashed potato smooth with no lumps
To make a smooth mash potato, it’s important to have a potato ricer or proper potato masher that will really mash the potatoes, which will help in making it smooth and lump-free.
But you can also use a masher or a whisk if you don’t have a potato ricer, which will give you a smooth potato mash but not as smooth as mashing through a potato ricer.
Why is my mashed potato elastic and rubbery
If you mash the potato when it’s cold then you will end up with an elastic textured mashed potato so make sure the potato is mashed when it’s hot
Tricks to make the best creamy mashed potato
1. Cook the potatoes thoroughly – it’s very essential to overcook the potatoes because you don’t want lumps in the final dish, this will also make it easier to mash the potatoes
2. Mash the potatoes when its hot don’t wait until its cold as this will affect the texture of the dish.
3. Use the correct type of potato as this will affect the overall taste and texture of the dish
You can also try my other dinner recipes.
Watch how to make Homemade Creamy Mashed Potato
Step by step recipe on how to make homemade creamy mashed potato
Homemade Creamy Mashed Potato Recipe
- Pots and Pans
- 150 g Milk Fresh, full cream
- 50 g Butter unsalted
- 1 kg Potatoes Peeled and cut into quarters
- 100 g Cream Thick, Cooking cream
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, place peeled and cut potatoes and salt (to taste), cover with water and place on medium heat for 30 mins or until the potatoes are cooked
- Strain the potatoes once cooked, then mash it using a potato masher or a potato ricer
- In a separate saucepan, place milk, butter, salt, pepper and heat
- Once the milk mixture is heated, add the mashed potato in and whisk well until well mixed, Finally add cream and incorporate well.
- Serve warm