Soft and chewy thick homemade noodles similar to udon noodles tossed with a spicy sauce, stir-fried with greens and tofu, is an absolute favourite in my household. There is nothing like homemade noodles when compared to store-bought noodles.
Now we all don’t have the luxury of time, to make noodles from the scratch.,but what if I told you this noodle only requires 4 ingredients and can be made in less than 10 mins of course taking out the dough resting time. You must make homemade noodles and decide for yourself if it’s worth the effort and time put in. I would hand on my heart prefer homemade noodles any day, But saying that I also buy store-bought noodles for mid-week dinner solutions when I am really time-poor.
For those who don’t know, my culinary journey as a chef had a huge history associated with Asian cooking. when I was studying in France I got a scholarship to go to China and work for 6 months. I learnt so much about Asian cuisine and its flavours, culture and tradition that I keep close to my heart. When I also came into Austalia as a chef, I worked in Shangri- la hotel in Sydney, where our main restaurant turned to an Asian fusion restaurant the time I was working. I didn’t realise how big Asian food was before coming to Australia. I think with time passing by Asian food has definitely marked its authority and name in the Australian gastronomic map.
How do you make homemade noodles from scratch without eggs?
It’s so simple, you only need flour, salt, baking soda and water to make noodles from scratch. So many people are daunted to make this amazing dish but truth be told it is so much easier than making pasta and you don’t even need a machine to make noodles.
Also, you can add eggs and make egg noodles. But that’s a recipe for another day 🙂
What kind of noodles don’t have eggs?
Most of the noodles, like udon noodles, wheat noodles are made with no egg. only egg noodles are made with egg. egg noodles will always have a slight yellow colour compared to eggless noodles.
Which flour is used to make noodles?
Now many recipes call for wheat flour, I have done it with all types of flour and I don’t see a huge difference between wheat flour and all-purpose flour. so I have used all-purpose flour in this recipe. especially if the noodles are tossed in a sauce, it’s hard to know the difference.
How long to rest the dough?
Ok, The gluten and starch in the dough activate the longer you rest it, which means the chewy and soft texture you look for will be prominent when rested for longer. I usually rest it for 2 hours or even more for it to really activate the gluten as I like it to be stretch, chewy and soft.
How to prevent noodles from sticking together?
The dough as any other dough will be sticky, thus when it is not cooked it’s very important to dust it with ample amount of flour, if not it will cling together and have a bad mouthfeel after cooked.
How to cook eggless noodles?
The noodles need to be blanched in hot boiling water for 2-3 minutes, once boiled it needs to be refreshed under cold running water instantly to avoid it from sticking together.
How to store noodles?
You can make it the day prior and dust a lot of flour and leave it at room temperature (colder countries only) or in the fridge. I have only tried leaving it in the fridge overnight, I am yet to try it being in the fridge for longer and if it can be frozen.
The uses of noodles in dishes
These noodles can be used in many dishes
1. Stir fry
2. Noodle soups
3. Boiled noodles with toppings added
Can I add any meat or seafood to noodles?
Yes you can, I have added prawns to this recipe, you can also add chicken, cuttlefish to this recipe. Just marinate the meat or seafood in the sauce that is made and chargrill it separately in a pan and finally toss it with the noodles.
Watch how to make homemade noodles without egg
Step by step recipe on how to make homemade noodles without egg
Homemade noodles without eggs
- Pots and Pans
Noodle dough recipe
- 250 g All-purpose flour
- 3 g Baking soda
- 3 g Salt
- 140 g Water Warm
- 4 tbsp Soy sauce Dark soy sauce
- 2 cups Vegetable stock can substitute with water
- 3 tbsp Chilli flakes Can substitute for chilli paste
- 2 tbsp Oyster sauce Can substitute for ABC soy sauce
- 3 cup Chinese broccoli Can substitute for bokchoy
- 1/4 cup Tofu (Hard tofu) Crumbled by hand
- Mix all noodle ingredients together by hand or a stand mixer with the hook attachment until smooth( If doing by hand about 8-10 minutes or by machine 5 minutes)
- Cover with a cling wrap and rest for 2 hours at room temperature
- Once rested, flatten the dough using a rolling pin into 1mm thickness
- pleat the dough, then cut small strips, unpleat the stripes and dust with ample amount of flour to avoid it from sticking together
- Place a pot of water and bring it to a boil, once the water is boiling blanch the noodles for 2-3 minutes
- Strain the noodles and refresh under cold running water
- In a medium fire, place all sauce ingredients in a pan, mix well and add the blanched noodles and let it cook in the sauce until well glazed for approximately 2 minutes
- Finally, add the chopped bok Choy and crumbled tofu and toss well to combine
- Serve warm