Italian flatbread (focaccia Bread) can be topped up with anything. So easy and simple to make. I have topped up mine with olives, rosemary, and sea salt. If you are looking for a crusty outside and soft and fluffy inside, look no further because this is the recipe you want to get your hands on.
The first time I made focaccia was when I was working for one of paul bocus’s restaurant in Shanghai. We had an amazing entree at that time, using focaccia as the base, a generous olive tapenade spreading and decorated with pickled spring vegetables. It was absolutely divine.
What is the best way to serve focaccia?
1. Serve this bread as an entree dish, with some toppings
2. Side to dip soups and sauces
3. Focaccia sandwiches. absolutely delicious!!!
4. Side for Antipasto and charcuterie platters
How to pronounce Focaccia?
This bread is pronounced as “foh-KAH-chya”,
This is my go-to recipe and its pretty damn easy. especially if you are very new to making bread with yeast, this is one of the recipes that you cannot go wrong with.
How much olive oil should i use in focaccia?
Traditionally focaccia is drizzled with a lot of olive oil, this bread has holes poked in it so when it comes out of the oven, you drizzle olive oil to soak up beautifully. It needs to be a generous amount of olive oil to get that perfect texture and taste.
What to top up focaccia with
- Herbs; Rosemary, Thyme
- Potatoes ( Baby potatoes cooked or thinly sliced potatoes)
- Cherry tomatoes
Can Focaccia be used as a pizza dough?
The main difference between pizza dough and focaccia is that the focaccia has more rising agent quantity that makes it rise more than a pizza and it is traditionally thick, you can definitely make pizza with focaccia dough but if you need good pizza dough, then click here to get my best pizza dough recipe.
When adding high moisture content into the bread such as tomatoes, it’s better to first par-bake then add in the tomatoes, the moisture of the tomatoes itself will affect the dough from rising in the oven which will not make it very pleasant to eat.
Focaccia will have crusty outside and fluffy inside which is the perfect bread texture.
Can I freeze my the focaccia dough
Yes you can freeze the dough up to 6 month
Watch how to make focaccia
How to make focaccia (Step-by step recipe)
Quick And Easy Focaccia Bread Recipe
- 250 g All-purpose Flour
- 167 g Water Warm
- 4 g Yeast Instant dried
- Olive oil
- Mix yeast and water and leave aside for 10 minutes until it froths
- Mix together flour, salt, olive oil and add in the yeast mix
- Knead the dough for 5-8 mins until smooth
- Dust the work surface with flour and place the dough and cover with the bowl, let it rise in a warm area until doubled in size
- Once doubled in size dust flour or semolina to the bottom of the baking tray and pull the dough with your hands to stretch & shape the dough and place it on the tray
- Poke holes with your fingertips on the bread and add in any type of topping, cover with a lot of olive oil until you see a thin layer of oil on top of the bread.
- Cover the tray with a damp cloth and let it double in size
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins
- Once out of the oven drizzle more olive oil on the top before it cools down