The best vanilla mug cake recipe you will ever need. Have you come across days, you just simply want a piece of cake and not a whole cake? or maybe you just want to surprise your loved one at midnight and just want a small piece of cake and don’t want to ruin a whole cake?
let’s be honest sometimes when my partner wakes me up at midnight on my birthday with a whole bloody cake, the only thought is what a waste of cake and I can’t even pose for the gram with my pj’s hah hahaha
well, everyone, I got good news!!! you don’t have to have a whole cake anymore you can simply make a mug cake. and you know the best part it only takes 5 minutes to prepare and 1 minute to microwave!!!
when I develop recipes for cakes, it is normal that I end up with a whole 500g or 1 kg cake and those who know me personally well, know I don’t have sugar during the week, it’s only during weekends or a Friday I get a cheat day.
But most of the time I do get sugar cravings middle of the night or all of a sudden and I get up from my coach and bake a whole cake and binge on it. Mr ‘s’ my husband always demands that I make small quantities so we don’t end up eating all that cake, so it got me thinking if I have this problem I am sure everyone does. so hence why I created this easy mug cake recipe.
What is vanilla mug cake?
It’s basically vanilla cake in a mug or vanilla cake in a cup. it is very easy and quick to prepare this cake and it cooks in less than 2 minutes.
How to make vanilla mug cake from scratch
It is very easy to make this cake, it only requires 3 steps
– Melt butter
-Mix all ingredients
vanilla mug cake easy
The reason why I call this an easy recipe is because of the following:
- You don’t need a scale, all measurements are given with teaspoons and tablespoons
- you don’t need a cake mixer, it can be done in one bowl, in this case a mug or cup
- it takes less than 5 minutes to prepare it.
Can this recipe be made in an oven
No, this recipe is purposely developed to be cooked in a microwave, if you are looking for an oven vanilla cake recipe, try my best secret ribbon cake recipe or my butter cake recipe.
Microwave vanilla cake
When microwaving the cake, it is important to note the following
-Use a microwave safe cup or mug ( dot use any mug that is gold, silver plated)
-The cake will puff up in the microwave, so make sure to fill 3/4 of the cup
Can I add icing on top to present the mug cake
Yes, definitely you can. I have done the same. you can use my vanilla buttercream recipe, follow the same steps as listed on the recipe, I have added a pink colouring. you can do the same, I also made the icing recipe by hand as it only requires a small quantity.
Can I add other additions to the mug cake?
Yes the following additions can be added
-Sprinkles which I have done
– Berries ( make sure to dice them to small pieces)
You can also check my other dessert recipes.
Watch how to make vanilla mug cake
Step by step recipe how to make vanilla mug cake
Best Vanilla Mug Cake Recipe
- 2 tbsp Butter Unsalted
- 1 tbsp Milk fresh
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1/2 Egg Whisked well until broken down
- 2 tbsp White sugar
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tbsp Sprinkles
- In a microwave-safe mug add butter and microwave for 15 seconds or until the butter is melted
- Then add the sugar, vailla, eggs, milk, flour, baking powder and mix well
- Add in the sprinkles and just mix through
- Microwave for 1-1 and half minutes ( time needed will depend on each microwave) Check if it is cooked by inserting a skewer inside and if it comes clean, then its cooked.
- Cool down, if you wish to add icing on the top, then use my vanilla buttercream recipe and add colouring.