What is vanilla buttercream? vanilla buttercream is soft, fluffy, creamy and full of vanilla flavour. It is used for almost any cake or cupcake, either to sandwich the cakes together or to decorate them. There are a few reasons why many find it hard to get the vanilla buttercream recipe perfect. I will be giving all the useful tips and tricks to get the best buttercream recipe.
What is a simple frosting recipe? Simple does not always mean the best recipe. This light buttercream frosting recipe will take a bit of time but I can guarantee this will be the only recipe you need and the best and easy icing recipe for cupcakes and cakes. wohoooo that’s a big statement I know, But I worked on this recipe and tips for 1 year to get it perfect, so it is fair for me to make that statement. Vanilla buttercream icing is creamy, light and fluffy.
Ingredients for buttercream frosting
Tips on getting a creamy buttercream icing
- Butter: It is very important to remember the golden ingredient. Butter!!! Now all recipies out there has the same recipe and my recipe is no different but the tips I share is what will make this recipe different than the other ones out there. I can’t stress this enough!!! The butter needs to be at room temperature. room temperature in all countries are different. The butter needs to be soft not MELTED. The butter will need to be turned as whipped butter before adding icing sugar.
- It needs to turn white and resemble like whipped butter. This will take about 30 minutes. Trust me, do not rush this step. The below picture is a reference as to what the butter should look like. I also have a side by side butter picture to show you what happens to yellow butter when mixed for 30 minutes. The below picture is ONLY butter and nothing else added.
- Icing sugar: This needs to be sifted and mixed with the whipped butter. After adding the icing sugar it needs to be mixed well as well.
- Vanilla : This is the key ingredient, it is called Vanilla buttercream. You can use vanilla essence and Vanilla beans.
- Cream : This is what will make it a creamy buttercream. This will give a whipped buttercream frosting texture
Why does a Vanilla Buttercream frosting split?
Make sure the butter is at room temperature. This is very important, it is all about the butter.
if your butter is too melted it will instantly split the mixture.
How to make vanilla buttercream less sweet
Is vanilla buttercream sweet? Yes, it is. Well, it’s made with butter and icing sugar. I use a 1:2 ratio here, which means 1 part butter 2 part Icing sugar, now you can make a 1:1 recipe which means 1 part Icing sugar and 1 part butter which is less sweet, but honestly, I prefer the 1:2 ratio. But if you prefer to have it less sweet then follow the 1:1 part recipe
How to make vanilla buttercream white
When I used to make buttercream before it was a bit yellowish, but after all my trials of getting the fluffiest buttercream, I figured out how to get it white. The answer lies in whipping the butter for 30 minutes prior to adding icing sugar
Does vanilla buttercream contain Milk?
I use to add Milk, and it is totally fine as well, But using cream will give you a creamier texture. So for this recipe definitely use cream. Using cream in this recipe will give you the best buttercream icing for piping as well. This will be a cake decorating buttercream
Does vanilla buttercream frosting need to be refrigerated
No, it doesn’t. But it needs to be stored in a cool and dry place. Freshly made buttercream taste better. I honestly don’t like making buttercream in advance. I make it on the day of serving.
What Nozzel to use for piping
I use star tip 21 Nozzel to pipe, I have linked it here
How long does easy buttercream icing last
1-2 days maximum. Because It will not taste good after 2 days. The texture will not be good after a couple of days. So use it within the day of making it
You can also check my other dessert recipes
Step by Step recipe how to make vanilla buttercream
Vanilla Buttercream Recipe
- Stand mixer or hand held cake mixer
- 125 g Butter Unsalted, Room temperature
- 250 g Icing Sugar Sifted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 1 Tablespoon Cream Thicken, Whipping cream
- Add the room temperature butter to a bowl of a stand mixer or a handheld mixer with the whisk attachment. Mix on a high speed for about 30 minutes until the butter is fluffy and pale in colour. If you live in a hot and humid country, this might be quicker.This should resemble a whipped butter texture and white in colour.
- Add in the vanilla essence and the milk, colouring if using any and beat it on a medium speed for another 5 minutes.This will ensure you will get a fluffy and creamy buttercream.
- Use the buttercream to decorate your cakes/cupcakes