When you take a bite of a chocolate cake that is so moist and chocolaty, there is a feeling that cannot be explained!!! That’s exactly what you will feel when you indulge in this super-rich and moist chocolate cake.
Some may say its not a typical chocolate cake, it’s more like chocolate gateaux or its more like a mud cake, but hey, who cares right as long as it’s a bloody good chocolate cake.
If you have been following me for a while now, you would know that I use oil in most of my cakes because oil, unlike butter, give the cake extra moistness.
I also add Coffee to my chocolate cake. Chocolate and coffee is a match made in heaven and when these ingredients are combined together, the flavour of the chocolate cake is taken into the next level.
Decorate it and frost it with my American buttercream frosting recipe.
If you are in a mood to eat a healthy cake try my Carrot Cake will not disappoint you.
Watch how to make moist chocolate cake
Best Moist Chocolate Cake With Buttermilk
- 300 g All purpose flour
- 300 g White caster Sugar
- 100 g Dutch Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp Baking Soda Bicarbonate of soda
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 4 Eggs
- 150 g Buttermilk (150 g fresh Milk + 3 Tbsp. of Lemon Juice)
- 50 g Vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla essence
- 200 g Hot brewed coffee liquid ( Make sure its a hot cup of coffee) it can be made using instant coffee powder as well.
- Preheat oven to 175C Conventional oven
- Line three,9 inch round baking trays with grease paper on the bottom and butter on the sides.
- Make your own buttermilk by adding the Lemon juice into the milk and leave aside for 10 minutes ( You can also use ready-made buttermilk). this mixture should resemble curdled milk
- Sift flour, Cocoa Powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar together and leave aside
- In a mixer with the whisk attachment whisk together oil, eggs, vanilla, warm water, coffee and buttermilk (Don't overbeat, just until its mixed well)
- Combine the sifted dry ingredients in with the wet mix until combined, do not over mix it.
- Pour batter into cake tins
- Bake the cakes for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean
- Let it Cool down for about 20 minutes before unmolding the cakes
- Once the cakes are completely cool frost them with my American buttercream recipe
- Preheat your oven before putting it in the oven. This will take around 15 minutes depending on the oven
- TBSP = Tablespoon, TSP= Teaspoon
- Do not overbeat the cake; need to mix to combine.
- You cannot substitute any ingredients
- You cannot use Butter instead of oil in the recipe
- You need to use baking soda and baking powder in the recipe
- If you have Dutch cocoa powder, use it, because it will give a better flavour. if not regular cocoa powder is fine as well.
- Buttermilk needs to be thick after making it, if it is not thick enough, then add in another Tbsp of lemon juice.